• You must have earned a minimum of a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.  (If degree is earned outside of the United States of America, an evaluation must be completed by one of the agencies graduates_foreign_institutions.)

  • Official transcripts for all college coursework, including transfer credits, must be included in the application for consideration.

  • You must have a GPA of 2.5 or better

  • You must have a minimum of three (3) years of full-time professional work experience or the equivalent.  Your work history will be evaluated in terms of your experience and professional background.

You must submit:

  • Active CPR/AED/Basic First Aid card or certificate, including a hands-on training component
  • Dated Certificate of Completion for DSS Child Abuse and Neglect Module – link found here:
  • Dated Certificate of Completion for VDOE Dyslexia Awareness Module – link found here:
  • Dated Certificate of Completion for Restraint and Seclusion Module – link found here: Restraint and Seclusion Module
  • Dated Certificate of Completion for Cultural Competency Module – link found here:
  • You must have taken and passed the Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA)

    • The VCLA assesses reading and writing proficiency.  A passing composite score of 470 is required for admission. Candidates should be aware that strong writing skills are essential to success in the program. 

  • You must have taken and passed a Praxis Subject Assessment exam in a secondary content area.  See the endorsements page for the content areas EducateVA can support.

    • PRAXIS Subject Assessment is a rigorous content specialty exam designed to document content knowledge.   With a passing Praxis Subject Assessment score in your content area, you can become endorsed in that content area without further content coursework.  Candidates must pass a Praxis Subject Assessment in the content area before applying. 

  • You must be willing to provide the results of a criminal background check prior to field placement or employment in the classroom.

**This program is not for those who hold a provisional license, an expired license, or a license from another state.