- You must have earned a minimum of a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution. (If degree is earned outside of the United States of America, an evaluation must be completed by one of the agencies graduates_foreign_institutions.)
- Official transcripts for all college coursework, including transfer credits, must be included in the application for consideration.
- You must have a GPA of 2.5 or better
- You must have a minimum of three (3) years of full-time professional work experience or the equivalent. Your work history will be evaluated in terms of your experience and professional background.
- You must submit:
- Active CPR/AED/Basic First Aid card or certificate, including a hands-on training component
- Dated Certificate of Completion for DSS Child Abuse and Neglect Module – link found here: Child Abuse Training
- Dated Certificate of Completion for VDOE Dyslexia Awareness Module – link found here: Dyslexia Module
- You must have taken and passed the Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA)
The VCLA assesses reading and writing proficiency. A passing composite score of 470 is required for admission. Candidates should be aware that strong writing skills are essential to success in the program.
- You must have taken and passed a Praxis Subject Assessment exam in a secondary content area. See the endorsements page for the content areas EducateVA can support.
PRAXIS Subject Assessment is a rigorous content specialty exam designed to document content knowledge. With a passing Praxis Subject Assessment score in your content area, you can become endorsed in that content area without further content coursework. Candidates must pass a Praxis Subject Assessment in the content area before applying.
- You must be willing to provide the results of a criminal background check prior to field placement or employment in the classroom.
**This program is not for those who hold a provisional license, an expired license, or a license from another state.