Prerequisites (Professional Studies)
- You must have earned a minimum of a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution. (If degree is earned outside of the United States of America, an evaluation must be completed by one of the agencies graduates_foreign_institutions.)
- Official transcripts for all college coursework, including transfer credits, must be included in the application for consideration.
- You must have a GPA of 2.5 or better
- You must have a minimum of three (3) years of full-time professional work experience or the equivalent. Your work history will be evaluated in terms of your experience and professional background.
- You must submit:
- Active CPR/AED/Basic First Aid card or certificate, including a hands-on training component
- Dated Certificate of Completion for DSS Child Abuse and Neglect Module – link found here: Child Abuse Training
- Dated Certificate of Completion for VDOE Dyslexia Awareness Module – link found here: Dyslexia Module
- You must have successfully completed the Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA) and Praxis Subject Assessment exam at prescribed levels.
**This program is not for those who hold a provisional license, an expired license, or a license from another state.
VCLA & Praxis Dates
The VCLA assesses reading and writing proficiency. A passing composite score is required (470 total for both portions of the exam), but want applicants to be aware that strong writing skills are essential to success in the program. Recommended minimum scores on each portion of the assessment are 235 for both reading and writing.
PRAXIS Subject Assessment is a rigorous content specialty exam designed to document content knowledge. With a passing Praxis Subject Assessment score in your content area, you can become endorsed in that content area without further content coursework. You must pass Praxis Subject Assessment in the content area for which you wish to become endorsed. Individuals are required to pass Praxis Subject Assessment in only the initial endorsement area, and may become endorsed in a second area by meeting the course-content or degree requirements as outlined in the Virginia Licensure Regulations for School Personnel. Individuals may also add some additional endorsements through additional Praxis II testing. Click here to review endorsements offered through EducateVA.
- You must be willing to provide the results of a criminal background check prior to field placement or employment in the classroom.
- You may not currently hold a Provisional License or expired Provisional License from the VDOE or a full professional teaching license in another state.
A dual endorsement is required for ESOL. Completion of Level 1, in a critical shortage endorsement area is required before adding the ESOL endorsement through a PRAXIS test.
Endorsement Areas/PRAXIS Subject Assessments:
- Middle School Mathematics (6-8)
(This Praxis II will not endorse you in Algebra or Geometry)/(5169)
- Middle School English/Lang. Arts (6-8)/(5047)
- Middle School Science (6-8)/(5440)
- Middle School Social Studies (6-8)/(5089)
- Mathematics (6-12)/(5161)
- English (6-12)/(5038)
- Biology (6-12)/(5235)
- Chemistry (6-12)/(5245)
- Earth Science (6-12)/(5571)
- Physics (6-12)/(5265)
- Social Studies (6-12)/(5081)
- Foreign Languages (PreK-12) Spanish (5195), French (5174), German(5183), contact our office regarding other languages
- Health and PE (PreK-12)/ (5857)
- Business and Information Technology (5101)
- Technology Education(5051)
- Family and Consumer Sciences(5122)