Bachelor’s degree or higher from regionally-accredited institution with a 2.5 GPA or higher
Passing scores on the Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA) – register here:
Passing scores on a PRAXIS Subject Assessment – register here:
Active Adult CPR/AED/Basic First Aid card or certificate, *Online portion currently only option due to COVID-19
Dated Certificate of Completion for DSS Child Abuse and Neglect Module – link found here: (http://www.doe.virginia.gov/teaching/licensure/child_abuse_training.shtml)
Dated Certificate of Completion for VDOE Dyslexia Awareness Module – link found here: (http://www.doe.virginia.gov/teaching/licensure/dyslexia-module/story_html5.html)
Dated Certificate of Completion for Restraint and Seclusion Module – link found here: (https://www.odu.edu/eps/programs/ciees/initiatives/restraint-and-seclusion.html)
Applications should be mailed to:
Post Office Box 85622
Richmond, VA 23285
There is no application fee required until you are notified.
Complete application packets include:
VDOE Career Switcher application. (pages 3-4 of the EducateVA Application 2021)
- Do not send to Virginia Department of Education. Enclose in application package.
- Print application and fill out in its entirety. Sign and date. DO NOT PRINT TWO-SIDED.
- Electronic signatures are not acceptable.
EducateVA Cover Page (page 1 of the EducateVA Application 2021)
- Allows applicants to indicate their preferred sites for instructional sessions.
- Do not attach a resume to document work experience.
Report on Experience form(s) (page 5 of the EducateVA Application 2021)
- Must be signed by supervisor or Human Resources representative. Electronic signatures are NOT acceptable.
- Self-employed individuals may NOT sign for themselves. Tax documentation is required. Please contact the program office for more information.
- Stay-At-Home Parents may submit two letters in lieu of the Report on Experience. Specific guidelines must be followed. Please contact the program office for more information.
- Those who have served in the armed forces may submit a DD-214, in lieu of the Report on Experience.
Criminal History Waiver form (page 6 of the EducateVA Application 2021)
- Background checks are conducted by the school divisions, not EducateVA, and may extend beyond criminal history to other public records, to include print, video, and social media.
- NOTE – Any delay in the background check process can delay field placement assignments and impact program completion. No refund is available to those who cannot complete a field placement during the period allotted.
PRAXIS Subject Assessment Official Score Report
- Unofficial scores will not be accepted.
- Test scores are not reported until 12-15 BUSINESS days after the testing window has closed for the month.
- Applicants should plan to test at least three months prior to the application deadline.
- For some World Languages, testing requirements vary. Please contact our offices.
VCLA Official Score Report
- Test scores can take up to 10 days to be sent to testers.
- Applicants must take both the Reading Comprehension and Writing portions of the test.
- A composite score of 470 or higher is required.
- Transcripts should be sent in the sealed envelope from the institution to be considered “official”.
- Transcripts should be sent to you, not to the college or the EducateVA offices.
- All college coursework, at the undergraduate and graduate level, including transfer courses and courses which have not led to a degree, should be documented.
- Foreign transcripts must include a course-by-course evaluation by a VDOE approved evaluation agency. You can find that list here: graduates_foreign_institutions
- Submit a professionally-crafted essay (maximum 750 words) using the following prompt: Reflecting on your previous educational and work experiences, what skills do you believe will serve you well as a future teacher?