The deadline for fall semester of 2020 is May 27, 2020. THIS IS AN UPDATE. Applications will be accepted after April 13, 2020. Those sent prior to April 13, will be held, but not reviewed, until the application window has opened. Applicants will be notified by email of the next steps for paying the application fee. Do not send a check for application fees.
CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO OPEN THE APPLICATION-
**Passing Praxis Subject Assessment and VCLA scores, official, sealed transcripts, and work verification forms must be part of your application. Additionally, you must include Certificates of Completion for the Dyslexia Awareness and Child Abuse and Neglect Modules. Evidence of an active CPR/AED/First Aid certification must also be enclosed. This training must include a hands-on component.
- Check the Getting Started & Prerequisite areas to determine if you qualify.
- Check the Schedule link for deadlines (Professional Studies ).
- If you have not done so, schedule and take the VCLA and Praxis Subject Assessment exam (keeping application deadlines in mind). Passing scores MUST be submitted with your application, or your application will be returned.
- You must submit:
- Active CPR/AED/Basic First Aid card or certificate, including a hands-on training component
- Dated Certificate of Completion for DSS Child Abuse and Neglect Module – link found here: (http://www.doe.virginia.gov/teaching/licensure/child_abuse_training.shtml)
- Dated Certificate of Completion for VDOE Dyslexia Awareness Module – link found here: (http://www.doe.virginia.gov/teaching/licensure/dyslexia-module/story_html5.html)
- Business, Marketing, Tech Ed, and Family and Consumer Sciences are Career and Technical Education (CTE) endorsement areas. Beginning July 1, 2014, anyone seeking a CTE endorsement will be required to submit an industry certification credential for licensure. A list of acceptable credentials can be found HERE.
- Carefully read and follow directions. All documentation must be included in your application package by the application deadline including the application form, all reports of experience, official transcripts, test scores, and essay. If you are, or have been, self-employed additional documentation will be required. Contact our office for specific guidance. Electronic signatures are also not permitted.
- Submit your completed application packet to the EducateVA program office:
EducateVA, PO Box 85622, Richmond, VA 23285 (Do not send it to the address at the top of the program application. That is the VDOE address because this is a VDOE form. This will cause a major delay or could jeopardize your acceptance.)
a. Please note that a copy of passing Praxis Subject Assessment scores and passing VCLA scores must be submitted with your application. Requests to send scores directly from the testing agency to individual colleges will not ensure receipt of these scores.
b. Have test scores sent directly to your home address (or by email) and send a copy of the scores when submitting the application.
- Both the VCLA and PRAXIS require a period of time before scores are released to test-takers. Generally, there is a 12-15 business day period AFTER THE MONTHLY TEST WINDOW CLOSES for score reporting to occur. Applicants should complete testing AT LEAST one month in advance of the application deadline in order to have the required score reports for application packets.
- Transcripts must be included for ALL college coursework, including those accepted as transfer credits. This includes coursework which may not have led to the conferral of a degree. Foreign transcripts must be accompanied by a course-by-course evaluation completed by a VDOE approved agency. To be considered “official”, transcripts are sealed.
- THERE IS NO “LATE APPLICATION” WINDOW.
- **This program is not for those who hold a provisional license, an expired license, or a license from another state.
Your application will be reviewed to:
- Verify your Bachelor’s degree and GPA
- Verify your work experience using “Report on Experience” verification forms which are a part of the application form (resume does not verify work experience) – if you have been self-employed, you cannot sign the Report on Experience for yourself, but should contact the office. Electronic signatures are not acceptable.
- Verify your VCLA and Praxis Subject Assessment scores and ensure they meet the Virginia Department of Education’s qualifying scores for your endorsement area.
- Verify your successful completion of CPR/AED/First Aid Training, the Child Abuse and Neglect module, and the Dyslexia Awareness module.
- Check for coursework that may qualify you for additional endorsement(s)
- Assess your professional essay
- You may not be accepted if you currently have a Provisional License or expired Provisional License from the VDOE.
- You are not eligible if you have previously been issued a teaching license from any other state
- You will receive notification of the status of your application near the application deadline date for the cohort for which you apply.
**Please note: EducateVA does not offer training for an Elementary Education endorsement.
Financial Aid Opportunities
This program does not qualify for traditional financial aid, or teacher scholarships, as it is a non-credit fast-track licensure only Workforce Development program.
For guidance in finding opportunities for financial assistance if you are unemployed, under-employed or a veteran, you should contact your local One Stop center.
- Troops to Teachers
Troops to Teachers is a U.S. Department of Education and Department of Defense program that helps eligible military personnel begin a new career as teachers in public schools where their skills, knowledge and experience are most needed.
- GI Bill-please contact the EducateVA program office at 804-523-5671 for information
- Troops to Teachers